A Wedding to Remember
Let love be genuine; hate what is evil, hold fast to what is good; love one another with mutual affection; outdo one another in showing honor. Do not lag in zeal, be ardent in spirit, serve the Lord. Rejoice in hope, be patient in suffering, persevere in prayer. Contribute to the needs of the saints; extend hospitality to strangers. Romans 12:9-13
Getting married is one of life's most special moments. At Sewickley United Methodist Church, you will find a beautiful setting for your wedding.
The historic building, stained glass windows and grounds are well maintained throughout the year offering your bridal party a perfect backdrop for photos. If you are looking for an extra special setting, during the month of October, our lawn is covered with pumpkins, and in December, the chancel is overflowing with poinsettias. Our air-conditioned sanctuary ensures the comfort of your guests.
We also provide all of the necessary services needed for your special day including a pastor for counseling and the ceremony, an organist equipped to play our original Carnegie pipe organ dated back to 1909, and a custodian to clean up after the event.
Your Wedding at SUMC
We're happy that you are thinking about holding your wedding at SUMC. The following details about procedures and policies will help you plan for the event.
- Facilities Seating in Sanctuary: About 400 people can be accommodated. The sanctuary is air-conditioned.
- Aisle: The center aisle is approximately 75 feet in length. There are 11 rows of pews on each side of the center aisle.
- Access: The sanctuary is accessible to handicapped persons using wheelchairs via a ramp located in the church parking lot. Handicapped parking spaces are available. Entrance to the parking lot is from Thorn Street.
- Organ: An excellent pipe organ and grand piano are available.
- Candles: Two seven-candle brass candelabra are available. Candles for candelabra are purchased by SUMC (See costs below). A brass holder for a Unity Candle and two auxiliary candles are available.
- Guest Book: There is a stand with a light located at the entrance to the sanctuary.
- Dressing Area: A comfortable parlor is available for dressing, family assembly, and photographs. From this area, the bride and attendants may move to the sanctuary through a hall in the lower level, or weather permitting, by the outdoor walk.
- Pew Attachments: Flowers, bows, etc. may be attached at the end of each pew and used as decoration. However, tape may not be used to secure these decorations, nor anything that would mar or scratch the wood.
- Services Bulletins: The church office is available to compose, type and print the contents of your wedding program. A service fee of $30.00 will be charged. The couple, at their cost, must provide program covers. Blank program covers are available from wedding suppliers, Christian bookstores and other sources.
- Music: The Music Director, Charles Wilson, will coordinate the music for your wedding. There is to be no taped or recorded music used during the ceremony.
- Pastor: Our Pastor performs all Weddings at Sewickley United Methodist Church. The pastor will also need to schedule three counseling sessions with the couple prior to the wedding. These sessions can be scheduled at your convenience. Please call the church office to schedule them with the Pastor.
Please note, the Pastor will need to meet with the couple before the wedding is booked on the church calendar.
- Receptions: The Simpson Room, our social hall, is available for a reception, and catering is possible. Please contact the Pastor or church office for details.
An invoice will be mailed to you about one month before the wedding. Please issue separate checks where indicated.
|Church Sanctuary||$750||Separate check made payable to Sewickley UMC|
|Pastor||$300||Separate check made payable to pastor|
|Organist||$300||Separate check made payable to organist|
|Soloist & Instrumentalist Fee||$35||Separate checks per musician|
|Custodian||$100||Cash in envelope marked “Custodian”. Fee should be paid night of rehearsal.|
|Candles||$75||Purchased by SUMC. Check made payable to Sewickley UMC.|
Your wedding date will be scheduled on the church calendar after you meet with the Pastor to discuss your wedding. Please call the church office to schedule an appointment. At that time, a deposit of $250 will be paid to reserve your wedding date.
A Reminder of Church Policy
Smoking and use of alcoholic beverages is not permitted anywhere in the church building.
A Reminder About State Law
You must have a valid marriage license, issued by a county in Pennsylvania. There is a 3-day waiting period between application and issuance of the license.
Wedding photographs on this page graciously provided by Bethany K Photography.